Saturday, December 28, 2013

Zoom - Where Did It Go!


Dear Friends,

I love Christmas and everything about it, but I hate the lonely afterglow!   

Our Christmas was great.  Daughter and SIL (son-in-law) arrived Christmas Eve in time for a leisurely dinner.    I had made lasagna, a marinated cold vegetable salad, fruit salad, and cookies and coffee for dessert.  We exchanged a few presents, sat around and talked, and were all in bed around 10:00.  The kids had worked much of the day before coming to our house and they were tired. Of course, us old folks are always tired.

Daughter and SIL had called a couple of days before they came and said not to buy anything for Christmas breakfast.  They were going to cook breakfast and would bring the food with them.   WHAT a GREAT TREAT!    SIL  cooked each of us a big vegetable omelet, accompanied by bagels, orange juice, and I still had fruit salad left over, so we had a little of that too.   I told them that was the best  Christmas present ever.

SIL's brother and wife had their first baby on 12/22/13, so our daughter and SIL wanted to go to the hospital to see the baby before going on to SIL's aunt's house for a big family gathering by 2:00 p.,m..   The brother lives about 145 miles from where we live with the aunt living between our two locations. It made sense for them to go Christmas morning, otherwise they'd have to make another special trip down south.  They left our house at 9:00 and took a few pictures so we could meet the new precious bundle of joy too.

Now I'm in the after Christmas humdrums.  My mother was from a big family (12 children) and the holidays always meant lots of activity - getting together with various family members during the week of Christmas.   I miss all those family gatherings at Christmas.   I try to keep busy and not let it get me down, but it sneaks up on me at times.  Hubby's family is spread out all over the place too.  So we never see family at Christmas.  The humdrums will pass in a couple of days.

Mother Nature is going to pull a good one on us starting around midnight tonight and into Sunday.   Freezing drizzle will start about midnight, followed by light snow flurries, followed by 4 days of extreme cold.   Monday will give us a day time high of -1 with a nighttime of -13.   Then we're going to warm up 1 whole degree each day until Wednesday.   Other than a trip to the grocery store, we won't be leaving the house.   I have a couple of errands to run this afternoon.  Guess one of those stops should be at the gas station and get the car filled up!!    It's no fun standing out there when the wind is howling and the temp is below zero.

I hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas.

Mary



11 comments:

  1. I had the best of Christmas's dear friend. My son is better..all of them are/were here and all is eel with my world. SO glad it is with you three as well. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a very good Christmas here, though hectic at times. I am glad your Christmas was special! That was a real gift for SIL to cook breakfast!

    Thank you for your visits to my blog! Be careful in your bad weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sweetie, I'm glad you were with your daughter & SIL on Christmas eve & morning, but I do understand those "afterglow blues". Especially when it's so cold outside that you really have to stay in. Sending Warm Hugs & Smooches! Love, Jodie & The Gang

    ReplyDelete
  4. A relaxing and serene Christmas here. Is that your home all lit up? GORGEOUS!
    Happy Holidays,
    Lisa, Finn and Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a kid, my brothers and I always left Christmas morning to spend the day with our father, and I always felt sad for my mom, left alone on Christmas day. We celebrated with her family on Christmas Eve. She never said anything, but I always imagined my mother had those "afterglow blues" too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had the best Christmas we have had in the last three years. This time last year Mum so so unwell. It's been a tough year suddenly becoming the carer but we have made it through. So Mum, Jazzy and me had a snuggly time. We have family but they never visit. Their loss eh?! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you had a good one. The blues will pass, I'm sure. Hopefully soon. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m glad you had a nice Christmas. TW and Pop spent Christmas alone with me. They usually go to family for a belated Christmas party a few days after but that’s not happening this year. The Aunt they go to see had her shore house destroyed by Sandy and wasn’t up to having a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see I got scroogled again by blogger and am off your follower list again. I am subscribed by email now.
    I know what you mean Mary. I am a bit depressed right now too. This year seems to be haunting me. I hope 2014 is good to us all. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah...the lonely afterglow. Perfect!

    I wonder are you close to my inlaws in Eau Claire? They were looking at temps in the -20's...YOW!!

    2013 winding down and a whole new year for a whole new journey. Glad we're on it together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope 2014 proves to be a good year for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is greatly appreciated and always read. Comment Moderation has been set after a few days of publishing to cut down on spam. I do check for them and will publish as comments are valued.