Thursday, December 8, 2011

Random Acts Of Kindness

Dear Readers,


The past two weeks I was out and about more - dentist one day - short shopping and errands on other days.  My faithful companion - the walker - was with me on each of those outings.   


Walkers on wheels are a great invention, but they are a little cumbersome to use, especially when going in and out heavy doors that don't have the automatic opener.  Going in isn't to difficult, but you do have to position your self off to the side of the door, open the door with the right hand, then slowly navigate the walker thru the door while holding the door open with your right hand or body - or butt.


Going back out when the door is heavy is a real challenge.   Again, you have to move yourself to the left of the door, hold the walker with the left hand, use the right hand to pull the door towards you, then swing your butt over to hold the door open while you grip the walker with both hands and turn the walker in the right direction to go out the door.   (Big rumps do help. he he)


I was pleasantly surprised at the dentist's office recently when a gray-haired man (probably close to my age) came over and asked if he could assist me.   I was struggling with that door - a room full of people all waiting to see the hygienist or dentist, and ignored by all except the nice elderly gentleman.   I was very grateful and thanked him profusely.   It was a random act of kindness that was so appreciated.


Then on Saturday we were invited to a birthday party for the granddaughter of a friend.   It was a rainy, drizzly day, so Don pulled in the driveway to let me out.  I didn't bring a walker because I knew it would be crowded in the house, and I usually don't need it in a house anyway.   Much to my surprise, the son of my friend walked out to greet me, offered me his arm for assistance, and helped me up the steps to his home.   Their entry way has wooden steps leading to a deck like platform - there is no railing.    That was another random act of kindness that was so appreciated.


When we got ready to leave, the other son of that friend asked me if he could assist me to the car where Don was again waiting in the driveway.   Another much appreciated random act of kindness.   I mentioned it to their mother the next day and told her she could be proud of her sons for their willingness to help.  So very thoughtful of both young men.


Then this morning I was attempting to get into Barnes & Noble's store and again was faced with big heavy doors that had to be manually opened.  Along came a lady who appeared to be my age and perhaps even a year or two older.   She said "Here, let me get that door for you!"  Another random act of kindness!


Thru the years I have tried to do the same for people struggling with a door and a walker or wheel chair.  I guess what goes around eventually comes around.


You never know when an opportunity will present itself so you too can perform a random act of kindness.  I do hope you will take the opportunity and "make some one's day" because, in time, you too will be in need of the extra help.   These wonderful people certainly did "make my day" and I'm so appreciative.


Mary

10 comments:

  1. It's so simple, and yet so true, it's humans that give us our humanity. Also, we talk about aids to daily living as if they solve all mobility problems, but they don't. Those walkers are both a blessing and a bit of a curse too. Keep up the great work, and keep us inspired. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What nice people. It doesn't take any trouble at all to show a little kindness and help to your fellow human being. Those who ignore will some day appreciate someone else's kindness and hopefully reflect back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so fortunate to have run into such kindness. I know you are a kind person so you deserve all help you receive from strangers and anyone, for that matter. I never thought how much of a problem a walker can be. I guess one who doesn't need one yet only sees it as a help. You are a wonderful person and an inspiration.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always a thought provoking message. I am a big believer in helpinothers in situations like that and sometimes I even remember to ask first :-) but most times I barge right up there and tear the door off the hinges trying to get it open. (I hope I exaggerate).

    Love you all three bunches

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are doing so well with walker. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful story! It made me very happy to read it :-). I always try to be mindful of those who might need a bit of assistance. A week or two before Thanksgiving I was at the grocery store and I saw two young girls who were very short looking at something on the top shelf in the baking aisle. I asked if I could help them and they wanted to know what type of nuts were on the top shelf. Once I told them they decided that they wanted a bag so I grabbed it for them. They thanked me and I moved on down the aisle. Out of the corner of my eye I could see them looking at me. When I turned to them, they asked if I could grab another bag for them. I didn't mind doing so, because like you, Mary, I hope that someday the favor will be returned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When TW had her walker (no wheels) b/c of a broken ankle, she only went out with Pop so she didn't have those problems. We live across the street from senior housing and TW always stops to talk to the residents. She jokes that that will probably be her next home so she should make friends. She's always the first to help anybody else. Funny how usually it's the oldsters who help others, not the kids, with the exception being the young black men, who offered her their subway seat when she had gotten her cast off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is great that people are helping you. There really are still some nice people in the world. I will never understand at the cancer center, they have those big heavy doors too but there is always someone there that will help you.That does look like a great walker. Hope you are feeling all right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This just makes me feel good ALL over! When you hear so much about how little people care for simple kindnesses it is so refreshing and endearing to hear how much people truly do want to help!
    Blessings!!!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Mary!

    I love your blog! Random acts of kindness are the best! (Knowing you, you have done a million of them to others in your lifetime so now it is time for you to collect :) I loved your Christmas card!

    Christmas blessings to you, Mario, and Don!

    Kristi (and Gracie - "Meow")

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is greatly appreciated and always read. Comment Moderation has been set after a few days of publishing to cut down on spam. I do check for them and will publish as comments are valued.