Saturday, August 2, 2014

Where Are The Cows?

Hi Friends,

Wisconsin has long been known as the Dairy State. One could take a ride down any country road and usually see cows out in the pasture.   There was always something peaceful about that scene, and it was so very typical Wisconsin.

I think I've mentioned before, that I was born on a farm.   My mother left there before I turned 1 year old, but all her brothers and sisters had farms. Spending time on a farm visiting was how I grew up. I always wanted to be in the barn with the dog, cats, and cows.  

We spent a week of driving back and forth to our daughter/son-in-law's house about 2 weeks ago taking care of their two cats.  They live about 45 minutes from us and we enjoy driving the back roads to get there.  I began to notice there were no cows in any pasture along the way.   Where are the cows?  I noticed the same situation when we drove to Oshkosh on the I-system also a couple of weeks ago.  Where are the cows?

I have since learned that the corporation farmers keep their cows in those huge barns round the clock. Those poor cows never get to graze in the meadow in the fresh air or feel the sunshine on their backs. The reason is that the cows give better milk production when they remain inside rather than free roaming - or so I hear.   How very sad for them! 

There are not very many small, independent farmers left these days.  Those that we did go by are also keeping their cows inside the barns - or so it seems. I realize you need to make a profit on a farm to stay in business. Farm equipment is not cheap and the farm is your only means of support.  You can't always depend on the weather to give you a good crop season either to help make up the cash flow or feed your own animals.   But couldn't there be a happy medium in still letting the cows out to pasture some of the time?   I guess this is the way of the future, but once again is it for the better??

Thanks for putting up with my rant. I still think it's sad, and I think I'll try Goat's Milk! Most small farmers work very hard for a living, and with animals to feed and cows to milk, getting away on vacation is next to impossible.    Do you see cows in the pasture in your state?   Or do you have any information on this subject and/or wish to make comments?   I welcome them for another perspective.   


Oh, the new header picture at the top of my blog was taken in our daughter's back yard.  Her husband has a green thumb for working with flowers and I couldn't resist getting a picture of the beautiful Hollyhocks.

Hope you are having a good week.


Mary


13 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for stopping by today. You left me a comment about where are the cows? I have a few friends that are dairy farmers and I live in a area where the dairy cows out number the people. :) Yes, there are the corporate farms. The cows are a very valuable asset. Even here with the dairies that have thousands and thousands of cows the cows are out in the lots after the first milking.
    The friends I have that have smaller dairies, put them out to pasture, that are beautiful and green. You have to move the cows though because they will over graze the fields. Maybe the reason you don't see the cows is that the cows have just been moved to better pasture. I grew up on a farm and have always had livestock. I know that for me and my family our livestock often live better lives than we do and our lives revolve around them. In my sidebar on my blog there are two ladies who are dairy farmers and they treat those cows like family. The blogs are http://happilymarriedtothecows.blogspot.com/
    http://ofpetalsandwool.blogspot.com
    They could answer your questions so much better than me. I don't have cows anymore.
    I hope that helps and thank you so much for stopping by.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim for replying. I appreciate your insight into this. It is possible that they were moved to a different pasture. It is somewhat hilly in the area we drive thru, so that could be one of the reasons. I'll hope so anyway.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog today! We are a small dairy, and our cows are outside as often as possible...all night this time of year, and an hour or so each morning. We bring them inside when it gets hot because they really mind the heat. I know the big farmers keep them inside all the time, but we think it's much healthier for them to get exercise, fresh air, and it's better on their feet to be in the meadow! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and responding. It's nice to hear from someone who lives on a farm and still farms. I would think too that they would be much healthier. I'm so glad there are still some independent farmers still around. I know you farmers work hard for a living. I'll be visiting your blog regularly, and am so happy I found it.

      Delete
  3. I live in a farm area and often see the cows in the pasture. I had no idea that cows, like most corporation chickens, are kept locked up in barns. I am so sad to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it. I feel sad about that too. I happen to love cows as they are such a peaceful animal. Their eyes really get to me when up close. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  4. I had no idea until I read you blog about this awful (to me) practice!! I had NO idea of any of this. How sad and awful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is sad isn't it. Thank you so much for reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We saw lots of cows on our Wisconsin tour. My son told me something (which I didn't notice) about how cos tend to face the same direction, east to est, or north to south (I forget which). I saw my share of perpendicular cows :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is very sad. Cows need to graze in the pasture. Before you said it, I was going to mention that most of the farms these days are corporate farms. Hopefully, we’ll get to the Popcorn Park Zoo this year and see some beautiful rescued cows grazing and maybe get to pet and love on them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for stopping by our blog, we love meeting new furiends. We are so sad to hear this, we had no idea! :( Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's sad that these cows are not able to graze in the pasture. It's good to know there are smaller farmers who don't practice these methods.

    Julie



    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally and completely agree with you about the cows, also other livestock that are never allowed out and to live a normal life. Makes you wonder what the point of all that grass and air is. There are higher yields on such farms though. I always buy organic milk now from a supermarket that knows each supplier. Often the big markets don't know the individual suppliers.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is greatly appreciated and always read. Comment Moderation has been set after a few days of publishing to cut down on spam. I do check for them and will publish as comments are valued.